Friday, June 25, 2010

An Idea That May Help Get Rid of Too Much Parking

I've long been an advocate of trying to reduce the necessity of driving in American cities. I'm always a little surprised when I hear of others thinking along the same lines so was happy to come across this article, originally from a link on the Economix blog, on the costs that come along with free parking. I wholeheartedly agree with this and would like to see things move even further, to push parking out of city centers and replace it with parking further out and transit services to go further in. That's a pipedream but the ideas in the Slate article sound more realistic and near term.

[Incidentally, links 3 and 6 on Economix, on how useless the homebuyer tax credit was and on how every inefficiency is someone's income (in this case, in kind food aid and farmers), are very good too. I just have nothing to add to these two very good posts.]

No comments:

Post a Comment